Location: Wast Hills Training Ground, Redhill Road, Birmingham, B38 9EJ
Expires: 19/08/2021 23:59
Location: Wast Hills Training Ground, Birmingham, B38 9EL
Hours of work: Hours are set to meet the needs of the business and will be a minimum of 37.5hrs
Application Closing Date: 19/08/2021 (Due to the urgency of filling this vacancy, suitable candidates will be interviewed as and when they apply and the role will be closed as soon as a suitable candidate has been sourced).
Birmingham City Football Club has an exciting opportunity for a Head Groundsperson. Working with the Ground staff to maintain pitches and associated areas / facilities at the Club’s 50-acre training ground site.
- Overall responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of all first team, academy, community training pitches and the Club’s 3G artificial surface.
- Line manager to a team of 5 ground staff, including but not limited to day to day management, daily work schedules and annual staff appraisals.
- Weekend work required in accordance with the Club’s fixture programmes at all levels and to manage the recovery of the surfaces prior to training on Monday mornings.
- Maintenance of the 3G pitch facility
- Maintenance of the Indoor area facility
- Regular liaison with the First Team Management staff, U21 Manager and Academy staff in respect of pitch rotation and usage.
- Management of the undersoil heating system in order that first team training is always considered in advance of freezing weather.
- Management of gritting procedure on the training ground car park and entrance in the event of freezing weather (in conjunction with the Maintenance Operative).Areas to be gritted and prepared in advance of staff and players arriving for work.
- Management of contracts relating to machinery maintenance, irrigation engineers etc.
- Dealing with appropriate contractors and raising purchase orders as and when required.
- Regular monitoring of weather forecast
- Accurate record keeping including but not limited to fertilizer applications, verti-drain procedures, fungicide treatments etc.
- Regular monitoring of all pitches for prevention of disease.
- Ensuring the machinery register and service records are kept fully up to date.
- Compliance with all necessary health and safety requirements
- Preparation of annual report to the Club Secretary in respect of annual pitch renovation proposals each summer, including proposal of works required to each pitch/area in line with the Club’s budgets.
- Implementing a weed control programme to areas such as paving and surrounding areas.
- Maintenance and upkeep of goals, dugouts and any other associated equipment.
- Maintenance and upkeep of the Groundsperson’s area – i.e. hut, yard and shed.
- National/Scottish Vocational Qualification in Amenity horticulture Level 3 Sports Turf Maintenance or IOG National Intermediate Diploma or BTEC National Diploma or National Certificate in Turf Science and Sports Ground Management or City & Guilds Advanced National Certificate in Horticulture or a proven track record for at least 5 years as an experienced groundsperson.
- Any other recognised Horticulture / Turf Management qualifications at the appropriate level.
- Thorough understanding of relevant Health and Safety legislation.
- Formal Training in manual handling and risk assessment.
- GCSE (or equivalent) at grade C or above in both Maths and English.
- Award in the Safe use of Pesticides Application Modules PA1, PA6A & PA06A etc.
- Experience working with a Synthetic Sports Training Facility.
- Manual Handling Techniques and Awareness Training.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven skills of maintaining large horticultural sites, in particular sports facilities.
- Fundamental man management and strong communication skills training or 2 years proven supervisory experience.
- Job holder has developed the tools to influence and achieve business goals more effectively.
- Must possess the ability to write pitch renovation specifications.
- Computer literacy – in particular with Microsoft Office, including use of email and word.
- Able to work on own and as part of a team.
- Experience working with football pitches.
- Strong communicator and the ability to build rapport with people at all levels.
- Good organisational skills.
- Must possess excellent judgement.
- Must be confident, approachable, dependable, professional.
- Must be able to cope under pressure.
- High expectation of self and high standards.
- Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Only applicants that demonstrate within their application that they meet the above criteria will be considered for the role.
This role is regarded as a ‘Regulated Activity’ and is therefore subject to an Enhanced DBS check, (previously a CRB check) which includes the barred list for working with children. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
Birmingham City FC is an equal opportunities and Disability Confident employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the Community.